Can someone please explain the appeal of DirkJake to me because I honestly don’t get it.
When a train crashes but you can’t look away cause it’s so horrible yet epic.
By now, I’m sure a lot of you have seen this post going around where someone points out that the Hot Topic exclusive Homestuck shirt features white-washing where darker skin was depicted in the original art.
However, that post had a million different trains, and the OP wasn’t the one to point it out, so about half the people reblogging it have no idea that the original art was altered.
Even some of those who have seen the evidence are blaming things like lighting, filters, or printing restrictions for the altered design. All of that is bullshit, and I’ll show you why.
For your comparison, this is the original:
(screenshot of this)
And here are some photos I grabbed from Instagram:
As you can see, in each of these, John’s skin tone is much lighter than in the original submitted to the contest. This can only have been done deliberately, and what do we call the deliberate lightening of skin? White-washing!
As I said above, some people are of the opinion that is could have been done for any number of reasons, but it’s plain to see that it’s was done specifically so that each human character would appear white. Why is this obvious?
- The only other colour changes are the colour of shirt it’s printed on, so it can’t be a ‘printing restriction’ based on colour
- These images all have different lighting/angles and were all taken by different people
- Different or no filters have been applied, yet John’s skin is still visibly paler in comparison to everything else than it was in the original
This art was altered with purpose, there’s no two ways about it.
So what can we do?
Don’t stay ignorant. Get mad, and stay mad. Reblog this post. Contact Hot Topic and What Pumpkin to point out what this is and why it’s wrong. Tell everyone you know about how gross it is that this has happened.
once upon a time, in Japan…. *white characters*
this takes place in Africa… *white characters*
our story starts in the Middle East… *white characters*
*Japanese animation set in Japan with Japanese characters*
white people: theyre white
*brown skin characters in Middle East*
white people: white people with a tan
*black characters in Africa*
white people: what is this reverse racist social justice politically correct bullshit
Greg Tate (via wretchedoftheearth)
He got Paul Whiteman and Benny Goodman mixed up. Whiteman was crowned the King of Jazz and Goodman was crowned the King of Swing, but this is spot on.
Funny thing about Goodman, he used to buy charts from Fletcher Henderson. Many of the songs Goodman is known for were played by Henderson for years in his band. Goodman later hired Henderson to play in his band. Henderson became his arranger. Henderson basically carried Goodman. It’s so fucked up on so many levels that Goodman is lauded to the level that he is, when that should be Henderson. There would be no big band swing music without two people, Don Redman and Fletcher Henderson. Both of them were Black.
i see lucy as a racist film that plays on negative stereotypes while hiding behind the cover of (white) feminism.
all this film has done is switch out the white man for a white woman. it’s still a film about a white person getting violated by the evil poc, then gaining power and wiping them out.
here’s 2 of my favourite scenes from the trailer:
from top to left to right:
KEEP CLEAN 保持清潔，APPLE 蘋果，ONION 洋蔥，GRAPE 葡萄，
CHAIR 椅子EDIT: sorry it says ORANGE 橘子，TOMATO 番茄
traditional chinese is an actual written language used by millions of people, not symbols to be thrown around at the whim of set designers because they look cool and idk, serves to create a menacing asian atmosphere. this is so disrespectful, and made even worse by the fact that this film in set it taipei, taiwan where the official written language is traditional chinese.
it doesn’t matter that this film caters to a primarily “white” audience who won’t be able to read it, the language and culture of taiwan isn’t something for you to twist and use as you deem fit because it’s “exotic.”
lucy shoots a guy for not being able to speak english.
she l i t e r a l l y shoots this taiwanese taxi driver, in taiwan for not being able to speak english. she’s in taipei and she’s shooting people as they are of no use to her because they don’t speak english.
just think about the sort of message that’s sending out. she’s not being “bad-ass strong female character who takes no shit,” she’s saying that english is useful and better. this is the type of harmful ideology that stretches all the way back from when western countries were colonising and forcing their language and customs on other countries.
let me explain with a real life example. i was born in new zealand to two taiwanese parents. i am fluent in english, but mandarin is conversational at best. my friends in taiwan say that i am “so lucky” to speak fluent english, when they are fluent in mandarin and their english level is no worse than my mandarin. they tell me that they want to perfect their english but in the same breath tell me that mandarin isn’t worth perfecting because i have english and that’s “enough”. they also tell me how pretty my white friends are when they see pictures.
this is the type of neo imperialism ideology that they’ve grown up buying into. it honestly hurts and frustrates me that they belittle their own culture like this, honestly believing that the western world is superior. this is the type of neo imperialism ideology that this film (hopefully unintentionally) promotes: white people are better and will save the day.
if they wanted to film a movie about a white women getting back at those who had violated her, why not film it in a western country? if they wanted to film it in taiwan, why not find an asian lead actress?
i do agree that we need more women protagonists in action/superhero movies, but not like this. its not okay that the female lead needs to be kidnapped and have her body cut open without her consent in order to gain her powers, and those said those powers do not make any of this racist bullshit okay.
i am just so tired and angry of poc always being brushed off to the side as either props or villains in mainstream media.
as a poc, it’s so frustrating to see that the of the standard of beauty still white women when we live in multi-cultural societies and a diverse world.
feminism is about equality. a film in which poc are presented as evil and inferior before being killed off by a superior white woman does not promote equality.
Yesterday, July 13, Jane Doe was unexpectedly transferred to CT Juvenile Training School, a locked facility for boys. The transfer was done in secret, without informing her lawyers. DCF is claiming that she is currently being held there in solitary confinement. This means that at best, our sister is in solitary AGAIN, this time in a facility for delinquent males who have been charged with crimes. At worst, she is in general population with those same males.
Effective immediately, we are asking people to call and tweet at CT Governor Dannel Malloy and CT DCF with the following demands:
1. Release Jane Doe from the CT Juvenile Training School into an appropriate environment approved by her therapist. CJTS is a facility for males on parole status - Jane is neither male nor on parole! Release her immediately into a loving foster / adoptive home!
2. Fire DCF Commissioner Joette Katz now. This person has done enough damage to Jane Doe and who knows how many other youth in her “care”. She is clearly on a sick vendetta against Jane, using Jane’s gender identity to torture her further.
3. CT legislature must repeal CT statute 17a-12, which allows DCF to imprison children and place them in inappropriate, traumatizing environments
4. Launch an independent investigation into CT DCF to uncover ALL the abuses permitted and perpetrated against children in their care.
Call Malloy: 860-566-4840
Call DCF (demand Jane’s immediate release): 860-550-6300
Tweet: @CTDCF and @GovMalloyOffice. Use #JusticeForJane hashtag.
- I’m calling to express my disgust that the abuse of Jane Doe, the 16-year-old transgender victim of trafficking, is continuing at the hands of DCF Commissioner Joette Katz. I am demanding that Jane be immediately released from the CT Juvenile Training School boys’ facility, be given the therapy she deserves and be allowed to be fostered or adopted into a loving home.
- It is clear that a commissioner who goes on such a sick vendetta against an abused child, lies about the child’s treatment and demonizes her in order to preserve her own reputation is unfit to hold her highly compensated position. No child should suffer like Jane Doe is. I am demanding that Commissioner Katz be fired now and that her position be filled by someone who knows how to deal with trauma and is not prejudiced against trans* youth.
- CT statute 17a-12, which allows DCF to imprison children and which has been the legal root of Jane’s suffering, must be repealed by CT legislature immediately.
- Finally, these events and the words of other children in the care of DCF show that Jane is not a unique case. I am demanding that an independent investigation be launched into CT DCF’s treatment of children. Whatever Katz’s preferences may be, it is not OK for a department whose agents traffic and rape children to investigate itself. The safety of these children is at stake and an independent investigation is imperative.
Please stay tuned for announcements of on-the-ground protests, rallies and marches to support Jane. Spread this information far and wide!
FYI: Jane Doe is a 16 year old Latina trans girl. She was previously held in solitary confinement for over a month in an adult prison because the law prohibits under-aged inmates from being in contact with adult inmates.
She is now being held in a juvenile facility for men on parole.
She has not been charged with any crime but is in prison because the Connecticut Department of Children and Families has been unable to provide her with a safe and therapeutic environment.
The transfer to a male facility puts her life in danger as well as puts her at extremely high risk for abuse and sexual assault.